It’s been quite a year!
2017 has been an interesting year for stories across media platforms. From political and social changes to adorable animals, to the downright bizarre. So, as 2017 comes to an end, we thought it’d be fun to look back on the year and see what New Yorkers found most amusing!
Here are the year’s 15 best Secret NYC stories, according to social media:
- Puppies! The internet was thrilled to learn that NYC would be getting its first puppy cafe!
- We can always rely on the weather to be completely…unreliable. February brought us a ridiculous heat wave where the temperatures reached 60 degrees (at the beginning of February! What?!).
- And then we were all caught off guard a few weeks later in March when the beautiful spring weather suddenly switched back to winter, and the city was hit with a snowstorm.
- When Jaws meets Coney Island. There was quite a scare over the summer when Coney Island beach had to be evacuated due to shark sightings.
- Having a go-to bar in the city is a must, but it’s always nice to discover a new one you like. So naturally we were thrilled someone created this map of NYC’s best bars and restaurants to save us all time.
- New Yorkers love a good burger, and we also love our television shows. So we all got pumped up for the week-long “Bob’s Burgers” restaurant pop-up leading up to Christmas Day.
- The only good thing we can all seem to agree on about the MTA is the vintage holiday trains they bring out every year!
- Remember when the first snowfall of the season landed on the same day as SantaCon and beautifully coated the city with several inches of snow? We do.
- When the holidays arrive so do the awesome pop-up bars! One of our favorites (and it seems like many New Yorkers agree) is the rooftop igloo bar at 230 Fifth.
- And who doesn’t love to look at beautiful images of a perfect rainbow over the city skyline?
- We can’t seem to get enough of pop-ups, and rooftop events, so naturally the Baita holiday-themed rooftop pop-up was a hit.
- Turns out that NYC got particularly excited when the Pornhub shop popped-up in SoHo…
- When the iPhone X came out, the funny group Improv Everywhere decided to prank New Yorkers with a fake subway station “Apple Store”…and some people really believed them!
- Jersey City became home to the largest planetarium on the Western Hemisphere this month! That was pretty exciting.
- New Yorkers were clearly excited about the huge, two-level Target store that opened up in Herald Square mid-October.
featured image source [230 Fifth]