The 9 to 5 life isn’t for everyone, but freelancing presents its own set of challenges. Here are 17 that you’re constantly facing if you work from project to project:
1. When your budget for a project suddenly gets cut in half.
2. When your deadline gets moved up.
3. “I can’t go out. I’m working.”
“It’s 10pm on a Saturday.”
“Yeah I know…”
4. Your friends who work 9 to 5 have no patience for your schedule.
5. You’re always having to choose between working for more income and having more free time.
6. If you choose more free time, you have no money to spend during it.
7. You probably live in Brooklyn or Queens for cheap rent. Or even (*gasp*) The Bronx.
8. Your personal computer and your work computer are the same.
9. There’s the constant worry that you’ll accidentally submit your latest journal entry instead of your finished article.
10. Simultaneously working for three different offices that are 45 minutes away from each other.
11. Working at home can be a pain.
12. Especially with annoying roommates like these.
13. Or pets who don’t understand personal space.
14. When you work in your pajamas all the time you forget what a business casual outfit looks like.
15. Your sleep schedule gets out of whack.
16. Basically every party you go to is a three-hour long job interview with 75 people.
17. Two words: tax return.
Cover photo credit: Alper Çuğun/Flickr