NYC is home to some breathtaking attractions that will spice up any tourist’s Instagram feed–and, well, some that actually disappoint tourists–but it’s also filled with some hidden gem tourist spots the average tourist likely doesn’t know exists.
And let’s face it–even a tourist wants to visit more than just tourist traps.
Thankfully HawaiianIslands is fixing this issue with their new study that brings together the little-reviewed but highest-rated museums, landmarks, parks, gardens, and historic sites all over the U.S. so tourists know what actually can’t be missed. And there’s definitely some good finds when it comes to NYC.
For the tourists that want to avoid suffocating crowds, long lines, and wallet emptying admission fees, HawaiianIslands found they should actually be visiting the following spots in NYC:
- Bill’s Place – a jazz club in Harlem (an average 4.93 rating)
- Paradise Club – upscale nightclub and immersive theatrical experience in Times Square (an average 4.70 rating)
- Sid Gold’s Request Room – a modern piano bar in Midtown (an average 4.68 rating)
- On The Rocks – a dimly lit watering hole in Hell’s Kitchen (an average 4.61 rating)
- Peter Dillon’s Pub – a cozy Irish pub and a lively sports bar in Midtown (an average 4.59 rating)
In NYC you could skip out on the Empire State Building and take a trip instead to Bill’s Place, the Big Apple’s top hidden gem, with an average rating of 4.93. Located in Harlem, this B.Y.O.B. speakeasy-style parlor offers an “amazing jazz performance” by saxophonist Bill Saxton. Music fans will especially appreciate that legendary jazz singer Billie Holiday was discovered here.
HawaiianIslands also expanded their search beyond American’s biggest cities, looking at the best museums, historical sites, landmarks, and parks and gardens in each state overall as well.
As for New York they suggest heading to:
- Museum – The Stephen and Harriet Myers Residence (Albany, NY)
- Historical Site – The Armour-Stiner Octagon House (Irvington, NY)
- Landmark – Tree Creations in Geneseo (Geneseo, NY)
- Parks & Gardens – Adirondack Park (St. Lawrence County, NY)
- Tourist spot – Wightman Fruit Farm (Ulster County, NY)
As for the tourist who’d like to explore beyond Midtown don’t worry–we’ve got you!
From Astoria, Queens to Greenpoint, Brooklyn, here are some of our curated neighborhood guides so you know exactly where to go when frolicking around NYC:
- 30 Amazing Things To Do In Astoria, Queens
- 33 Glorious Things To Do In Greenpoint, Brooklyn
- 38 Exhilarating Things To Do In The East Village
- 28 Coolest Things To Do In Bushwick, Brooklyn
- 23 Unique Things To Do On City Island, The Bronx