The 2022 edition of the Tribeca Film Festival is back, and movie lovers will have the chance to chase movies all over Manhattan in theaters from Tribeca up to Chelsea. What started on June 8, the festival is currently running until this Sunday, June 19!
The lineup this year features all types of films from blockbusters directed by celebrities to smaller indie films. Plus, documentaries, foreign films and shorts will be screening, allowing viewers to enjoy whatever style film they prefer. The festival features other types of media as well including panel talks, live music, and immersive experiences. Here are some of our favorite standouts from this year’s festival:
The beauty of the Tribeca Film Festival is that the movies come from all corners of the globe, and from small to large creatives and directors. Whether you’re looking for a good laugh or a philosophical documentary, there is such a huge selection of screenings to pick from. Here are just some of the films that caught our eye:
- Halftime: Step into the shoes of one of the world’s entertainment icons, Jennifer Lopez. Tap into how she became the star she is today and get intimate looks at world tour stops, her Super Bowl Halftime performance, and even Inauguration appearance.
- Corner Office: Starring Jon Hamm, he plays a rigid office worker in a satirical and puzzling office movie that will have you laughing until the end.
- Somewhere in Queens: Directed by Ray Romano and co-starring Laurie Metcalf, Sebastian Maniscalco and more, this film stars the hilarious Romano as an Italian-American father from Queens meddling around to ensure his son becomes a high school basketball star.
- Vengeance: Follow a journalist from New York City to Texas as he investigates the mysterious death of a young woman. This BJ Novak debut features Issa Rae, Ashton Kutcher, Dove Cameron, and more.
- Fate of a Sport: After dominating a “professional” lacrosse league for 11 years, two brothers partner up to take the league into their owns hands and make it more serious and professional. The film follows the two while they run the business of the league while also playing in it.
Throughout the course of the festival over 150+ films will be screening across the city. Get the full lineup of titles here. Plus, be sure to check out the set of Tribeca movies being shown on Pier 57’s new rooftop park.
Looking for a little dose of celebrities? The Tribeca Film Festival’s series of talks and panels are pulling in some of the most famous names to talk about their creative processes. Everyone from Taylor Swift to Pharrell Williams to Seth Meyers are included in their “Talks and Reunions” series. For a more film-driven focus, look into the “Director Series” and “Master Class” series which pull directors and filmmakers from around the country to discuss their films and the state of the industry. Here are some upcoming talks to consider:
- Common + Charles Blow: New York Times columnist sits down with groundbreaking rapper and entertainer Common, discussing social justice and the ongoing efforts he’s taking on to break down racial barriers.
- Phil Rosenthal + Alex Edelman: Join the “Everybody Loves Raymond” creator Phil Rosenthal as he talks about his new book “Somebody Feed Phil: The Book,” which accompanies his Netflix show about traveling the world while eating great food.
- The Power of Black Women’s Imagination: A Dedication to Bell Hooks: Dive into the imagination of Black women’s creative processes with this talk. Explore the power of film as a form of healing, discover how creators center joy in their work, and discuss how they imagine our future.
While many talks have since passed, there are still a few more to capitalize on before the end of the festival! Check out the full lineup here.
Brand New Immersive Experiences
If you’re looking to step outside the box, you’ll need to try one of the brand new immersive experiences at the festival this year. “Tribeca Immersive” is a series of virtual reality and augmented reality installations and experiences that allow you to enter into a brand new realm. What’s unique about these experiences is you can experience them both online and in-person! Some of our favorites include:
- Evolver: Take a journey throughout the human body as you follow the flow of oxygen throughout the respiratory system, uncovering deeper narratives in the process.
- End of Night: Join Josef, who is rowing a boat from Nazi-occupied Denmark to Sweden in the 1940s. Learn about who he is, his journey, and how he managed to survive the Holocaust era.
- Please, Believe Me: Dive deeper into Lyme’s disease and get familiar with Vicki Logan, who was diagnosed with it 30 years ago. Investigate her case and why scientists shunned her for years.
- Plastisapiens: Jump back in time and enter a world investigating how the environment and humans affected each other at the routes and how they do now.
All immersive experiences and tickets for both virtual and in-person showings can be found here.
Tribeca Film Festival Ticket Information
All festival tickets can be purchase on their official site and prices can range from $25-$350 depending on the film or experience. Individual day passes or weekend passes are also available as well.
Also published on Medium.