Since NYC restaurants can only be open for outdoor dining currently, the city implemented the “Open Restaurants” program, allowing streets and sidewalks to be shut down for exclusive dining use.
The program was set to expire on Labor Day, but Mayor de Blasio recently announced that the city would be extending it through the end of October. There are currently 9,000 eateries enrolled in the program.
He also announced they would add 26 more streets to the program, bringing the total number of open streets for dining to 47. These streets are completely shut down to traffic and open only for dining on Fridays from 5-11pm, and Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 11pm.
“Open Restaurants has given New Yorkers more than just a meal away from home – it has given our city a sign that better times are ahead,” the Mayor said. “I’m proud to give small businesses another two months to get back on their feet, and I’m looking forward to enjoying a meal on our expanded Open Street program soon.”
Here are where the new streets are located:
- Cedar Ave from W Fordham Rd to Landing Rod *opening 7/24
- Graham Ave from Skillman Ave to Conselyea St, Concord Hill
- 5th Ave from 40th St to 41st, Sunset Park
- 5th Ave from President St to 3rd St, Park Slope
- 5th Ave from 10th St to 13th St, Park Slope
- Jones St from Bleeker St to 4th St
- Bleecker St from Mott St to Bowery
- MacDougal St from W 8th to W 3rd
- Dyckman St from Broadway to Seaman Ave
- Spring St from 6th Ave to Thompson St
- 8th St from 5th Ave to 6th Ave
- 32nd St from 5th Ave to Madison Ave
- Pearl St from Broad St to Hanover Sq
- Pine St from William St to Pearly St
- E 20th St from Park Ave to Broadway
- Rivington St from Essex St to Norfolk
- Lafayette St from Spring St to Kenmare St
- E 7th St from Ave A to 1st Ave
- St Marks Place from 3rd Ave to 2nd Ave
- Ave B from E 2nd St to E 3rd St
- W 22nd St from 5th Ave to 6th Ave, Flatiron
- Canal St from Orchard St to Essex St
- Christopher St from Waverly Pl to 7th Ave South
- 70th Rd from Austin St to Queens Blvd, Forest Hills
- Austin St from 72nd Ave to 72nd Road, Forest Hills
- Woodside Ave from 76th St to 78th St, Woodside
See where the rest of the streets in the program (which have been open since fourth of July weekend) are located here.
featured image source: Instagram / @newyorkcity4all