You’ve seen it. You love it. You live by it. And now we’re reinterpreting the viral concept of ‘girl math’ to living in NYC. So whether you’re feeling guilty about your latest purchase, trying to calculate your transportation time, or looking for a way to rationalize that coffee before you head into work, we’re here to make you feel better.
Here are the best examples of NYC math, given by actual New Yorkers
1. If you purchase an unlimited MetroCard at the beginning of the month, all rides after that first day are free.
2. Everywhere is about a 30 minute walk.
3. If your bodega guys gives you a free coffee, you can then purchase one for yourself every day of the week.
4. When you say you’re X minutes away, you’re actually Y minutes away:
- 5 minutes = 20 minutes
- 15 minutes = 40 minutes
- 30 minutes = about an hour
- 1 hour = up to 4 hours
5. The number of F trains that pass before one M train at West 4th Street will always be 5.
6. If you only Uber home, your ride was 50% off.
7. If you walked to work, the grocery store, or a friend’s apartment, you’ve worked out that week.
8. If you drank 2 drinks at the work happy hour, you can purchase 2 more drinks when you meet your friends because the first 2 were free.
9. If you have your first cup of coffee before you get to the office, you go back down to 0 cups when you get to the office.
10. Subtract 10 minutes of walking time from whatever Google Maps tells you.