Summer is quickly approaching, and that means it’s time to kickback, grab some friends, and spend some time in one of NYC’s finest parks. With the weather in the perfect state and the sun setting later and later, what could be better than catching a free movie on the big screen!
You heard us right, for free! No matter if you’re if in Midtown to Brooklyn, there are hundreds of free outdoor movies you can enjoy in your local park. Well, let’s get into it. Here are some of the parks hosting free movies this summer!
Showing movies on one of NYC’s favorite big screens for over 20 years, Brooklyn Bridge Park’s free outdoor movie series “Movies With A View” is coming back for 2023!
This season’s run takes place back on the Pier 1 Harbor View Lawn every Thursday night starting in July. With movies starting at sundown (around 8- 8:30 pm), movie goers can arrive as early as 6pm to set up blankets, chairs, and picnic arrangements before the big showing.
Here’s the 2023 schedule for Brooklyn Bridge Park’s movie nights:
- July 6: E.T. Extra Terrestrial
- July 13: Smoke Signals
- July 20: Top Gun
- July 27: Psycho
- August 3: GoodFellas
- August 10: Despicable Me
- August 17: Everything Everywhere All At Once
- August 24: Public Choice with the following options: The Addams Family, Little Women, Romeo + Juliet
Learn more about Movies with a View here.
2. Bryant Park
Bryant Park is home to tons of fun events throughout the year, and back again this summer is their outdoor movies series in the park. Sponsored by Paramount+ and in collaboration with Vulture, screenings will take place every Monday evening from June until August!
The movies typically begin at 8pm sunset! If you plan on attending, remember that chairs are prohibited on the lawn and pets are not allowed.
Here’s the 2023 schedule for Bryant Park movie nights:
- June 12: Almost Famous
- June 19: Dreamgirls
- June 26: Mean Girls
- July 3: School of Rock
- July 10: Roman Holiday
- July 17: Reality Bites
- July 24: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- July 31: Swingers
- August 7: 48 Hours
- August 14: Zoolander
- August 21: Bonus | Good Burger
Learn more about Bryant Park Movie Nights here.
In a park that boasts some of the best views of NYC, Randall’s Island Park is a must-hit spot for their free movie nights this summer. No information has been released yet, but the series typically stars in July and flows into August.
This is the perfect place to bring kids or event a big group of friends! Grab some chairs and come early for their limited amount of free snacks. In the past, the event has started at 6pm with the movie beginning at 8pm.
The lineup has yet to be released, but it’s sure to be incredible!
Learn more about Randall’s Island Movie Nights here.
4. Washington Square Park, Tompkins Square Park, + More
Originally launched in 2008, the annual French film festival “Films on the Green” will return to Washington Square Park and 9 other parks across the city this summer.
Their 15th edition will bring French and international cinema to various NYC parks from June 2 to September 8. This year’s festival celebrates the art of dance in film with a lineup of 12 free screenings that highlight the beauty, rhythm, and emotion of dance.
Learn more about all the festival and the different parks here.
Here’s the 2023 schedule for Films on the Green:
- June 2: The Young Girls of Rochefort – Central Park
- June 9: The Tango Lesson (La Leçon de tango) – Washington Square Park
- June 16: Heartbreaker (L’Arnacœur) - Washington Square Park
- June 23: La Femme Et Le Pantin – Transmitter Park
- June 30: Three Nights a Week (Trois nuits par semaine) – Tompkins Square Park
- July 7: Casablanca Beats (Haut et fort) – Seward Park
- July 12: Neneh Superstar – J. Hood Wright Park
- July 14: French Cancan – Seward Park
- July 21: Polina (Polina, danser sa vie) – Riverside Park, Pier I
- July 28: Nha Fala (My Voice) – Riverside Park Pier I
- September 6: Dancing the Twist in Bamako (Twist à Bamako) – Columbia University
- September 8: LEAP! (Ballerina) – McGolrick Park
5. Prospect Park
Typically running every Wednesday in August, the “Summer Movies Under the Stars” series moved to Prospect Park last year. Though info hasn’t yet been released for this year, caffeine lovers enjoyed a free coffee in the park at the CoffeesUp and Abbotsford Road Coffee Specialists pop up cafe during the movie last year!
Here’s the 2023 schedule for Summer Movies Under the Stars:
- July 26: Top Gun: Maverick
- August 2: Bring It On
- August 9: The Nutty Professor (1996)
- August 16: Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Hunter’s Point South Park
Last year was the eighth summer of movies in Long Island City is CinemaLIC, a series of movies that took place in Hunter’s Point South Park. Organized by the Hunters Point Parks Conservancy, the experience is top notch, with a 30′ inflatable screen and state of the art sound system. Info hasn’t been released yet for this year, but typically movies begin at sunset and there are even food and beverages available for purchase.
Here’s the 2023 schedule for Hunters Point Parks Conservancy:
- July 13: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)
- July 22: Top Gun: Maverick (2022)
- August 10: Soul (2020)
- September 8: Disney’s Aladdin (1992)
7. Bushwick Inlet Park + More
No matter where you are in New York City, you’re sure to find one of the 150 free movie screenings part of the “Movies Under the Stars” series happening this summer. Organized by NYC Parks and the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, these different viewings will happen across all 5 boroughs of New York all summer long.
Movies will range from family-friendly feel goods to all-time classics. Plus, most parks will have accessible seating for seniors and ample space for your whole crew!
View the 2023 schedule for Movies Under the Stars here.
8. Astoria Park
Central Astoria LDC, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and enhancing Astoria as a vibrant, affordable, and desirable community, is hosting Movies on the Waterfront at Astoria Park this year. Head to the park’s Great Lawn during any of the times below to enjoy a movie al-fresco with sweeping views of the city. Don’t forget to bring a lawn chair or blanket so you can get comfy!
The full 2023 schedule for Astoria Park’s outdoor summer movies hasn’t yet been released, but it kicks off for the season with the following:
- June 2: Top Gun: Maverick at 8 p.m.
9. McCarren Park, Fort Greene Park, + More
Paramount+, and Brooklyn Magazine are hosting a series of 12 free films in three Brooklyn parks, called Paramount+ Movie Nights in Brooklyn. From classics to new hits the event is set to “foster community spirit and create unforgettable summer nights.”
Here’s the 2023 schedule for Paramount+ Movie Nights in Brooklyn:
- June 29: Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (Fort Greene Park)
- July 6: House Party (Fort Greene Park)
- July 13: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Fort Greene Park)
- July 20: RRR (Fort Greene Park)
- July 26: Top Gun: Maverick (Prospect Park, Long Meadow)
- August 2: Bring It On (Prospect Park, Long Meadow)
- August 9: The Nutty Professor (1996) (Prospect Park, Long Meadow)
- August 16: Guardians of the Galaxy (Prospect Park, Long Meadow)
- August 20: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (McCarren Park)
- August 30: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023) (McCarren Park)
- September 6: Everything Everywhere All at Once (McCarren Park)
- September 13: The Big Lebowski (McCarren Park)
10. Coney Island
Sure, Coney Island isn’t technically a park, but who wouldn’t want to watch free movies on the beach this sumer?! Coney Island’s Flicks on the Beach will present free movie screenings on select Monday nights between July 29 and August 26. Find more info here.
Here’s the 2023 schedule for Flicks on the Beach:
- July 29: Incredibles 2
- August 5: A Star Is Born
- August 26: Avengers Endgame