Summer is in full swing, and that means it’s time to kickback, grab some friends, and spend some time in one of NYC’s finest parks. With the weather in the perfect state and the sun setting later and later, what could be better than catching a free movie on the big screen!
You heard us right, for free! No matter if you’re if in Midtown to Brooklyn, there are hundreds of free outdoor movies you can enjoy in your local park. Well, let’s get into it. Here are some of the parks hosting free movies this summer!
1. Brooklyn Bridge Park
Showing movies on one of NYC’s favorite big screens for over 20 years, Brooklyn Bridge Park’s free outdoor movie series “Movies With A View” is back for 2022! This season’s run takes place back on the Pier 1 Harbor View Lawn every Thursday night starting in July. With movies starting at sundown (around 8- 8:30 pm), movie goers can arrive as early as 6pm to set up blankets, chairs, and picnic arrangements before the big showing.
If you’re hungry or thirsty, be sure to stop by the promenade before the viewing as well where there will be plenty of Smorgasburg food options for you to enjoy! Check out more details on their website here.
Here’s the 2022 schedule for Brooklyn Bridge Park’s outdoor summer movies:
- July 7: Before Sunrise (R, 105 minutes)
- July 14: The Bourne Identity (PG-13, 119 minutes)
- July 21: Crazy Rich Asians (PG-13, 121 minutes)
- July 28: How Stella Got Her Groove Back (R, 124 minutes)
- August 4: Jurassic Park (PG-13, 127 minutes)
- August 11: Thelma and Louise (R, 130 minutes)
- August 18: The Mitchells vs. the Machines (PG, 114 minutes, Family Film)
- August 25: Public Choice with options of: Back to the Future [PG], Mamma Mia! [PG-13], or Mission Impossible [PG]). You’ll be able to vote online starting in early August!
2. Bryant Park
Bryant Park is home to tons of fun events throughout the year, and back again this summer is their outdoor movies series in the park. Sponsored by Paramount+ and in collaboration with Vulture, screenings will take place every Monday evening from June until August!
Complete with food and beverage options curated by Hester Street Fair, and beer and wine available from Stout, the food service begins at 4pm while drinks start just an hour later at 5pm. As for the movies, they begin at 8pm sunset! If you plan on attending, remember that chairs are prohibited on the lawn and pets are not allowed.
Check out more information on the Bryan Park site for what you can and can’t bring!
Here’s the 2022 schedule for Bryant Park’s outdoor summer movies:
- Monday, June 20: Creed II
- Monday, June 27: Hairspray
- Monday, July 4: Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
- Monday, July 11: Wayne’s World 2
- Monday, July 18: Scream 2
- Monday, July 25: Beverly Hills Cop 2
- Monday, August 1: Star Trek VIII: First Contact
- Monday, August 8: Grease 2
- Monday, August 15: The Godfather Part II
3. Randall Island’s Park
In a park that boasts some of the best views of NYC, Randall’s Island Park is a must-hit spot for their free movie nights this summer. Starting in July and flowing into August, there are currently four screening dates showing everything from Disney movies to last year’s hit film “Dune.”
This is the perfect place to bring kids or event a big group of friends! Grab some chairs and come early for their limited amount of free snacks. The event starts at 6pm and the movie begins at 8pm.
Learn more on their events page here.
Here’s the 2022 schedule for Randall’s Island Park outdoor summer movies:
- Sunday, July 10: Encanto (located at Field 39/40)
- Sunday, July 17: Dune (located at Icahn Stadium)
- Friday, August 12: Eternals (located at Field 80)
- Sunday, August 21: Zootopia (located at Field 39/40)
4. Washington Square Park, Tompkins Square Park + More
Originally launched in 2008, the annual French film festival “Films on the Green” has returned to Washington Square Park and 9 other parks across the city. These free outdoor screenings are organized by Villa Albertine, The French Embassy, NYC Parks, and FACE Foundation with the mission of “providing free access to high-quality, diverse film programming throughout New York City.” Over the course of the summer, the 12 free screenings will take place across 9 different parks in the city. If you’re looking for a film far from the ordinary, give this free park show a try!
Learn more about all the festival and the different parks here.
Here’s the 2022 schedule for Films on the Green:
- Friday, June 17: Band of Outsiders by Jean-Luc Godard (Washington Sq Park)
- Friday, June 24: Le Capitan by Andre Hubebelle (Transmitter Park)
- Friday, July 1: Touchez pas au Grisbi by Jacques Becker (Tompkins Sq Park)
- Friday, July 8: Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (Seward Park)
- Wednesday, July 13: Fever Mounts at El Pao by Luis Bunuel (J. Hood Wright Park)
- Friday, July 15: The Class by Laurent Cantet (Seward Park)
- Friday, July 22: Mandabi by Ousmane Sembene (Riverside Park, Pier 1)
- Friday, July 29: Delicacy by David & Stephane Foenkinos (Riverside Park, Pier 1)
- Monday, September 8: The Velvet Queen by Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier (Columbia University)
- Tuesday, September 9: Eleanor’s Secret by Dominique Monfery (McGolrick Park)
5. Waterline Square Park
The Upper West Side’s newest park, Waterline Square Park is hosting a week-long movie marathon from June 13-19. There will be three movies shown each day at 3pm, 5pm, and 7pm. Everything from Pixar movies to classic dramas will be shown, and it’s the perfect spot no matter who you’re with. Seating in the park is on a first-come first-served basis, so be sure to head over early with your blankets.
Here’s the 2022 schedule for Waterline Square Park’s outdoor summer movies:
- Monday, June 13, 5pm: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Monday, June 13, 7pm: Pretty Woman
- Tuesday, June 14, 3pm: Raya and the Last Dragon
- Tuesday, June 14, 5pm: Raiders of Lost Ark
- Tuesday, June 14, 7pm: The Avengers
- Wednesday, June 15, 3pm: Moana
- Wednesday, June 15, 5pm: When Harry Met Sally
- Wednesday, June 15, 7pm: Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Thursday, June 16, 3pm: Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Thursday, June 16, 5pm: Space Jam: A New Legacy
- Thursday, June 16, 7pm: Grease
- Friday, June 17, 3pm: Frozen
- Friday, June 17, 5pm: Mamma Mia!
- Friday, June 17, 7pm: Titanic
- Saturday, June 18, 3pm: Encanto
- Saturday, June 18, 5pm: Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
- Saturday, June 18, 7pm: Dirty Dancing
- Sunday, June 19, 3pm: The Muppets Take Manhattan
- Sunday, June 19, 5pm: Breakfast at Tiffany’s
- Sunday, June 19, 7pm: The Godfather
6. Bushwick Inlet Park, Hunters Point Park + More
No matter where you are in New York City, you’re sure to find one of the 150 free movie screenings part of the “Movies Under the Stars” series happening this summer. Organized by NYC Parks and the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, these different viewings will happen across all 5 boroughs of New York from June 13- July 6. Movies will range from family-friendly feel goods to all-time classics. Plus, most parks will have accessible seating for seniors and ample space for your whole crew!
While there’s too many showings to list all here, be sure to check out the NYC Parks page to find the nearest showing to you!