With all that COVID-19 has brought, New Yorkers were surprised when Mayor de Blasio announced back in April that the annual Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks would still take place this year.
And now, they have released more details about what exactly that entails. Mayor de Blasio announced that there will not be only one fireworks show, but a series of shows instead.
Last week, on June 23, the Mayor said that the shows will take place on the nights of Monday, June 29, Tuesday, June 30, and Wednesday, July 1. They will each be about 5 minutes long, and take place across all five boroughs. They are doing additional, smaller shows instead of doing one giant display to discourage crowds from forming on NYC streets in a single location.
On the Macy’s website, however, they declared that “the displays will be launched from one or two land or water based locations over the course of the week-long celebration covering every borough of New York City.” So, it isn’t quite clear if the shows will end on Wednesday or continue every night through the 4th.
Tonight, June 30, Notify NYC just announced that they are due to occur in lower Manhattan and northern Brooklyn.
In celebration of the 4th of July, two 5-minute Macy’s fireworks displays will occur tonight between 9 – 11 PM and may be seen or heard in parts of lower Manhattan, northern Staten Island and northern Brooklyn. Social distancing measures are in effect.
— NYCEM – Notify NYC (@NotifyNYC) July 1, 2020
They want New Yorkers to be able to see them from their homes, rooftops, and parks, which is also why they are not sharing specific locations until right before the shows.
The Mayor called said they will be “brief but mighty” and that it will be “very special, very moving, but very safe.”
Then, on July 4 itself, they will air the shows on NBC so everyone can see, along with live ceremonies and musical guests. And, they said, “something very special that night from the top of the Empire State Building.” We can’t wait to see what it is!
featured image source: Macy’s Inc.