New York City certainly has no shortage of gorgeous places to go and views to see…so why not take advantage of this when working out and make your workout a bit more bearable! Working outdoors provides you with a ton of benefits, including reduced stress, better sleep, improved mental health, and a greater sense of happiness, and the summertime makes us want to be outdoors as much as possible. Here are some free outdoor fitness classes in NYC that will help you work up a sweat while showering you with a healthy dose of vitamin D.
Solstice in Times Square
Solstice in Times Square: Mind Over Madness Yoga returns on Tuesday, June 21, with their 20th annual event—and registration is now open! The day is jam packed with tons of yoga classes, and they’re all entirely free! The schedule is as follows:
- 7:30am – 8:30am – Neeti Narula, presented by Outside.io
- 9:30am – 10:30am – Ruchika Lal, presented by Consulate General of India, NY
- 11:20am – Wellness Segment by Morgan Zion, Presented by Alpha Girl Club
- 11:30am – 12:30pm – Douglass Stewart
- 1:20pm – Wellness segment by Amanda Huggins, presented by Gaiam
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm – Maria Margolies, presented by Gaiam
- 3:20pm – Wellness segment by Dr. Shereene Idriss, presented by Neutrogena
- 3:30pm – 4:30pm – Tricia Donegan (Fierce Grace)
- 5:30pm – 6:30pm – Dr. Chelsea Jackson Roberts, presented by Peloton
- 7:20pm – Wellness Segment by Morgan Zion, Presented by Alpha Girl Club
- 7:30pm – 8:30pm – Rodney Yee and Colleen Saidman-Yee
Healthy on the Hudson
Healthy on the Hudson turns Hudson River Park’s scenic spaces into waterfront gyms, offering a variety of fun fitness classes led by lululemon ambassadors. Monday through Friday, this series helps New Yorkers of all skill levels break a sweat and stay active while enjoying the beautiful outdoors. All sessions are free, however registration is required. Sign up early as space is limited, and remember to bring your own mat!
- Mondays – HIIT at Pier 25 at N Moore St.
- Tuesdays – Yoga at Pier 26 at N Moore St.
- Wednesdays – HIIT on Pier 46 at Charles St.
- Thursdays – Yoga at Pier 64 at W 24 St.
- Fridays – Mindfulness at Pier 84 at W 44 St.
Bryant Park Yoga
Bryant Park’s hour-long classes focus on healing and stress reduction and will occur twice a week all summer long through August 24. These classes fill up quickly, so be sure to reserve a spot in advance, and don’t forget to bring your mat! Learn more here.
- Tuesdays – 10a.m. on the Upper Terrace
- Wednesdays – 6p.m. on the Lawn
Flatiron Fitness Series
The Flatiron Fitness Series is back this summer with eight weeks of free outdoor fitness classes. Their signature ‘Wellness Wednesday’ evening classes are a hit, and their pop-up classes on the NoMad Piazza during select weeks also can’t be missed.
- Wednesday, June 22 – SOUK SWEAT / Flatiron South Public Plaza / 6pm
- Wednesday, June 29 – Dance + Sculpt / Flatiron South Public Plaza / 6pm
- Wednesday, July 6 – YogaLEAN / Flatiron South Public Plaza / 6pm
- Wednesday, July 13 – Gluteus Maxout / Flatiron South Public Plaza / 6pm
- Wednesday, July 20 – Classic Practice / Flatiron South Public Plaza / 6pm
- Wednesday, July 27 – Beginner Hip Hop / Flatiron South Public Plaza / 6pm
- Wednesday, August 3 – Open Mat / Flatiron South Public Plaza / 6pm
- Wednesday, August 10 – HIIT 50 / Flatiron South Public Plaza / 6pm
Additional pop-up classes on the NoMad Piazza will be announced in coming weeks. For updates, check their website.
The Seaport Fit
The Seaport Fit series offers a variety of workout options from yoga to step class to barre on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Reservations are released monthly and can be made here.
- Tuesdays – Pure Barre or Stepbrothers NYC / Seaport Square / 6:30pm – 7:30pm
- Thursdays – HIIT The Deck / Seaport Square / 6:30pm – 7:30pm
- Saturdays – Lyons Den Power Yoga / Heineken Riverdeck / 10am – 11am
Sweat Sessions in the Meatpacking District
Head to the Meatpacking District for a fun outdoor fitness series consisting of three free 45-minute classes. Everything from yoga to bootcamp, dance cardio boxing, pilates, and more will be offered! Classes will take place Tuesday nights from June 21 through August 30, except for July 5. Make sure you bring your own mat! RSVP here.
- Where: Hudson River Park’s 14th Street Park – 10th Ave. between 14th and 15th streets
- When: Tuesdays at 5:30p.m., 6:30p.m., and 7:30p.m. (each class is 45 minutes)
Washington Square Park Yoga
Get your yoga on all summer long at Washington Square Park. Breathe, move, and stretch in the park to work up a sweat in the great outdoors. Be sure to bring your own mat!
- Where: Garibaldi Plaza, check-in at the WSPC Wagon.
- When: Wednesdays, 8:30a.m. – 9:30a.m.