As of Sunday, November 14, Central Park’s Wollman Rink is joining the Bryant Park Ice Rink in opening early for the season — and with a totally new makeover.
And, free tickets will be available for Grand Reopening day, covering skating admission and skates with timed entries between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.. Up to 4 tickets per person will be available, in reserved time slots. Check back on their website here for more info.
Located at 59th Street and 6th Avenue, the rink has been around since 1949! Though it was formerly operated by the Trump Organization, the city terminated all contracts with them after last year’s attack on the Capitol.
Now, it is being managed by the newly established Wollman Park Partners LLC (WPP), who will be operating the rink for the next five years. The new operators feel strongly about reinvesting in the community and making sure the rink is a welcoming place for all, which includes (as shared in a press release):
- Not seeking or accepting any of the profit from operating Wollman Rink NYC. Any net proceeds generated during the concession term will be reinvested in the facility, and through community partners providing services at Wollman Rink NYC
- Introducing skating to a more diverse audience, particularly children and families from underserved and marginalized communities
- Offering a platform for members to enjoy and experience an iconic institution that they might not have been able to otherwise
- Expanding and growing community-oriented programming that brings together neighborhoods, families, children, school children
- Creating fundraising opportunities that allow them to continue to expand the mission
- Addressing long-deferred maintenance, as well as Earth-first upgrades to seating, circulation, entry/exit and landscaping, focused on sustainability and ease of upkeep
You can see renderings of their plans for the reconstructions and renovations — including the Wollman Café — throughout this article.
Opening daily to the public until early 2021, the rink will also offer private sessions and classes like figure skating and ice dance.
The Wollman Rink will be open from 10 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays; 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. Wednesdays through Thursdays; from 10 a.m. until 11 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays; and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Sundays.
All are welcome to hit the ice for $14 for adults off-peak & $23 during peak hours, and skates will be available to rent for $11! Find out more info on their website here.
Also published on Medium.