Over here at Secret NYC, we believe in openness and honesty (except when someone is complaining about their romantic partner… then we go into sleep mode and nod, “uh huh”, until they’re finished). So we feel it important to tell you the things about New York that no one else does. All you ever hear about it how expensive and dirty it is….yawn yawn boring snoring, are we right! Although, erhm, also very true…
1. Your snot will turn black.
2. Walking home alone in the dark late at night will make you nervous… but that’s okay.
3. Hipsters are a bit annoying, but actually not so bad.
4. Despite the fact you spend most of your free time in bed watching Netflix, you consider yourself to be cooler than tourists.
5. People aren’t actually that unfriendly.
6. Unless you hold the doors open on the Subway for your friend (Don’t Hodor!)…
7. You will never have enough time (or money) for all your plans.
8. You should never put your feet/bag/child on an empty seat on the Subway during rush hour.
9. Saying “Get/give me a…” when ordering food isn’t considered impolite.
10. Although there are hundreds of trendy pop up restaurants, you’ll end up eating a slice more than is socially acceptable.
11. You will also spend 70% of your life underground.
12. The rent situation is as bad as everyone says.
13. Drinking is acceptable at all times.
14. Children taking up seats on the tube/talking loudly/crying at rush hour will make your blood boil so much you know you’ll never have kids.
15. It’s ok to sit in McDonalds all alone and eat a large meal. Whether you’re hungover, drunk or just a bit peckish.
16. But most importantly, you’ll never, ever want to leave.