Every place in the world has their own quirks and things that while totally normal there, may not be normal somewhere else–and the sounds you hear around you definitely play into this.
We asked our followers to name some things they hear that let them know they’re in New York…and here are some of the answers!
Of course you’ll hear some of that New Yorker slang…
2. “Yo dead ass..”
3. “It’s brick out here”
(many more of which can be found here!)
…along with your typical New York accent
5. The word “cawfee”
6. “Let me get a baconeggandcheese” (one word, of course)
The sounds of the subway will haunt you in your dreams:
7. “Stand clear of the closing doors, please”
8. BING BONG
9. The subway beneath your feet, through the sidewalk grate.
And you always know when to expect a subway performance:
10. “Excuse me ladies and gentlemen” (right before they break out into dance)
11. “It’s Showtime!”
The lovely sounds of the city that at this point have become white noise:
12. Sirens all night long
13. Garbage trucks at 4a.m.
15. Fireworks year-round
16. 100 dirt bikes riding down the street at 3a.m.
17-18. Incessant horn blowing as well as someone honking their car horn at another driver for not moving within 0.000001 seconds of the light turning green!
A welcomed sign that we’ve made it out of winter:
19. The music from Mister Softee coming down the block
And finally, one of the many things that make New York such an amazing place to live:
20. 50 different languages being spoken all around you