Ah, the New York subway: we love it, we hate it, and we love to hate on it.
Though there are undeniably a lot of issues that have come to light as it ages, and plenty to annoy daily commuters, it’s also undeniable how special the subway is to the city. It helped pioneer mass transit in major cities all over the world, and can get you from completely different parts of diverse NYC (aka different worlds) for the small price of $2.75.
You can get wherever you want completely independently and conveniently, which is a lot more than other cities can say. And because the subway is so unique to New York life, there are a few things that only NYC transit commuters can truly relate to, like…
1. We break the laws of physics daily with how many people/things we can fit into one confined space:
— Drugz™ (@drugznalkohol) February 25, 2020
2. People will carry ANYTHING on the train
Hey, most of us don’t have cars, which means no matter how big it is, we’re bringing it on the subway!
— Danielle Ofri (@danielleofri) January 4, 2020
3. It has a fascinatingly rich history…
This #NYTMCollection photo depicts Fourth Avenue, looking north from Grand Central, in 1890. Tracks were lowered just north of the Depot, creating an open cut down the center of Fourth Avenue from 49th to 56th Street. Bridges spanned the tracks for pedestrians to cross. pic.twitter.com/3msgLg9oVY
— NY Transit Museum (@NYTransitMuseum) January 26, 2020
4. That you’re still riding on:
Last night my daughter got on a Q train. Or so she thought. Inside it said it was a K train, 8th Av Local. Except that subway line hasn’t existed since 1988. A ghost train from the Koch administration. #NYC #Gothamist #nycsubway pic.twitter.com/FK2ntVzeKM
— James Ketterer (@jpketterer) March 8, 2020
5. At least the stellar music makes up for it…
Any New Yorker knows the best performances aren’t in Madison Square Garden or Barclays, but in New York subway stations.
— Michael Carlier (@michael_carlier) November 15, 2019
6. But then you also see performances like this and remember what a weird city it is:
— Donnie (@donnaatello) December 17, 2019
7. It reminds us of certain things…like when you’ve definitely been out too late on a work night:
— Kenneth Miraski (@kmiraski) March 2, 2020
8. Or that you can truly wear whatever you feel like.
9. Yes, people will drive you crazy
You’re not making it on, buddy.
— Rick (@SubwayCreatures) November 19, 2019
10. …but you also see the very best of people.
Through the ups and the downs, at least the New York subway is ours through and through. And hey out-of-towners, that means only we can bad-mouth it!
featured image source: MTA