Having a vegan girlfriend, I have been dragged around almost every vegan restaurant, and eaten every vegan burger the city has to offer… begrudgingly. My verdict, as a carnivore, vegan burgers taste like lies and sadness. I’m kidding! I’m KIDDING! Put down your pitchforks!
Having the connection I do to the world of veganism, albeit tenuous, when I hear about something new for our herbivore friends, it peaks my interest. So here’s the lowdown on the Impossible Burger in case you didn’t know:
- Saturday at noon at Momofuku Nishi, David Chang launched the “Impossible Burger.”
- The Impossible Burger is an animal-free burger composed entirely of plant-based ingredients.
- The Burger patty contains NO meat and yet it “bleeds.”
- The special ingredient is a molecule called “heme” (the molecule that gives meat its texture and juiciness) that happens to be found in both plants and meat.
- They make their meat-free patty out of a mixture of the “heme, water, wheat protein, coconut oil and potato protein, as well as natural flavors and micronutrients.
In a nutshell, there you have it. A plant-burger that tastes and feels like meat… But what you want to know is, is it any good? Spoiler, yes, apparently it’s awesome. In fact, I couldn’t find a single negative tweet/instagram post about the burger. Read the posts below:
The #impossibleburger. It’s here and lives up to the hype. Can’t believe it’s not meat. Yay science! pic.twitter.com/sLhbU4mpdA
— Ajay Kulkarni (@acoustik) July 30, 2016
The delicious and rare (hehe) Impossible Meat burger #plantbased #vegan #bloodyhellthatsgood @… https://t.co/WfdqZcWbTr
— Alex Charak (@alexcharak) July 30, 2016
It’s possible! And yummy. #impossibleburger ???? pic.twitter.com/pxBCRAb36f
— Sloan Eddleston (@eddlest) July 31, 2016
Mission @ImpossibleFoods burger accomplished! This vegan is sold. WOAH! #impossibleburger #vegannyc #vegan ? ? pic.twitter.com/pK62JiBPrp
— Sarah (@yems28) July 28, 2016
#ImpossibleBurger all 100% plant based. Not *veggie burger* uses 99% less land, 85% less water, emits 89% less greenhouse gasses—but above all tastes better than ALL BURGERS. This is PLANT sizzling. PLANT! 1) healthy? Check! 2)environmentally correct? Check!!!! 3) taste SUPER AMAZING LIKE A REAL BURGER!?! YESLAWD!
Featured image source: [instagram/chungmula_]