New York Fashion Week brings in people from all over the world–from models and celebrities to those just looking to get a sneak peak at the latest designer trends–and the city becomes filled with designer pop-ups, store events, and tons of photographers snapping photos of NYC’s iconic street fashion. But, truth be told, this week can be a bit daunting for those just looking to dip their toes in the fashion world. Well, have no fear! Here is your ultimate guide to New York Fashion Week, filled with everything you need to know to make the most of all the flashy, fashionable fun.
First of all, what exactly is New York Fashion Week?
New York Fashion Week (NYFW) is a seasonal event which happens each year in February and September here in the city. It was created as a way to for designers to showcase their creations through presentations and runway shows for fashion editors and journalists, store buyers, celebrities, and consumers to preview their collections.
When is New York Fashion Week 2023?
This year’s fall New York Fashion Week runs from September 7-13, 2023.
Where is New York Fashion Week 2023?
Again in 2023, Spring Studios at 50 Varick Street is functioning as the main headquarters for this season’s fashion week, but various designers will also host their own runway shows throughout NYC.
How can I get tickets to New York Fashion Week 2023?
When it comes to NYFW shows, there are both industry shows, and shows which are open to the public. While industry shows are limited to buyers or those who work for the press for the most part, you can snag tickets to some of the public shows here.
NYFW also curates their own designer packages you can purchase from their website that includes VIP experiences such as itinerary planning, a seat in the front row, and meet-and-greet events, though these tickets come with a hefty price tag.
Where else can I watch it?
If you’re unable to make it in person you can still catch some of the best looks from fashion week through the Runway 360 digital hub, where all runway presentations will be streamed. Many designers and fashion houses will also livestream their own shows on their social media accounts.
Which shows should I keep an eye on?
With 74 runway shows slated for NYFW this year, there’s so many brands to be on the watch for. In alphabetical order here are some of the brands hosting shows: Altuzarra, Anna Sui, AREA, Batsheva, Brandon Maxwell, Carolina Herrera, Coach, Collina Strada, Dion Lee, Eckhaus Latta, Elena Velez, Gabriela Hearst, Jason Wu Collection, KHAITE, LaQuan Smith, Michael Kors, Palomo Spain, Prabal Gurung, Proenza Schouler, Puppets & Puppets, Sergio Hudson, Simkhai, Sukeina, Tory Burch, Ulla Johnson, Who Decides War and Willy Chavarria, among others.
The few in particular though that we have our eye on include Ralph Lauren (first NYFW since September 2019) LUAR (closing out NYFW with the very last show), and Helmut Lang (Peter Do’s debut show as creative director).
Check out all of the brands here.
Where should I grab a bite to eat during NYFW?
If you can squeeze in some time to enjoy a sit-down meal during fashion week, there are a few spots NYC spots that are good to have on your radar. CASA TuLuM is one of NY’s newest Mexican spots meant to transport you to the Caribbean coastline, while Mollusca is a lovely seafood restaurant in the Meatpacking District that serves their signature dish of Mussels along with 35 different sauces!
For more dining ideas, some other highlights include:
- Felice on Hudson – for Tuscan-inspired rustic plates, pastas, seafood, brunch, and cocktails.
- AperiBar – for small bites, elevated pizza, and 23 different Proseccos and Italian sparkling wines.
- The Oval – for a 30-seat seven-course pasta tasting menu.
- Jungsik – for a nine-course signature menu of New Korean cuisine.
- CHEF GUO – for a combination of Chinese Imperial cooking and Classic Western cuisine.
- Limani New York – for Greek-Mediterranean in the heart of Rockefeller Center.
Where should I grab drinks during NYFW?
Or maybe you’re looking for some casual cocktails in between runway visits? Check out some NYC bars that we have our eyes on!
- Sake No Hana – Sip on whimsical cocktails inspired by Japanese fashion and streetwear like the Kusama Full Happiness and Gyaru Girl.
- Jac’s On Bond – This brand new NoHo lounge features pool tables, great cocktails, and a lounge full of nostalgic hip-hop photograhs from the ’80s and ’90s.
- UNLISTED – Situated in LES, this brand new rooftop bar sits amongst the nostalgic street art of the neighborhood, where you can sip cocktails out of a spray can.
What other events and parties are happening?
With New York Fashion Week always comes great afterparties! With tons of the world’s most famous influencers, DJs, and celebrities in town, there’s always a hip party going on at night to help celebrate the week of festivities. Take a look at some of the hottest parties that are catching our eye, and grab tickets to them now!
- Teksupport’s NYFW Shows
- Peggy Gou, Skepta, Jammer at The Glasshouse (Sept 6): Club culture icon Peggy Gou and UK grime rappers/DJs Skepta and Jammer open Teksupport’s NYFW programming at The Glasshouse. SOLD OUT
- Mochakk, Chloe Caillet, Ben Sterling at The Glasshouse (Sept 7): Viral Brazilian house star Mochakk headlines the The Glasshouse fresh off his latest release “Jealous.” Parisian DJ Chloe Caillet and UK mainstay Ben Sterling support. Tickets here.
- Senza Fine IV at ArtsDistrict Brooklyn (Sept 8): This multi-sensory party founded by Description: Senza Fine Vol IV is the multisensory party concept founded by the Turkish-Italian star Carlita is set to feature sets from herself as well as SG Lewis, Heron Preston, Desiree, Mita Gami, and Ahmed Spins. Tickets here.
- Gray Area Presents: Emanuel Satie, Luzi Tudor & m.O.N.R.O.E. (Sept 8): Enjoy 10+ hours of music at one of Manhattan’s hottest nightclubs, with a headlining performance from Emanuel Satie. Tickets here.
- Rinse+Repeat: NY (Sept 8): After a meteoric rise on TikTok for their underground electronic dance music events, a NYFW event is coming to The Meadows in Brooklyn. Tickets here.
- Westlight Presents: Diplo (Sept 10): Award winning musician Diplo headlines the rooftop bar Westlight in Williamsburg to close out the weekend. Support from Layla Benitez, Deroos, Monobase, and Tolga. Tickets here.