A New Report Shows Where New Yorkers Are Actually From

Caitlin Horsfield Caitlin Horsfield

A New Report Shows Where New Yorkers Are Actually From
Of the people you meet in New York, how many of them can actually say they are from New York and not say, Florida? Well, it turns out in proportion to the population, not that many.

A new study out from Street Easy has confirmed that Manhattan does indeed take more than it gives when it comes to inhabitants. Out of the five boroughs, Manhattan continues to be the one that attracts the most newcomers despite the skyrocketing price of rent.

According to the study, Manhattan attracts twice as many domestic migrants as Brooklyn and Queens, and more than three times as many as the Bronx and Staten Island. They explain that “almost 30,000 more people moved to Manhattan than out of it domestically, while all other boroughs actually lost residents to other cities around the U.S.”


Using the 2011-2015 ACS Census data, Street Easy analyzed the comings and goings of domestic migrants. So where are all of these people coming from? Turns out that the majority of transplants come from California (9%) followed by Florida (6%) and Texas (2%).

According to the data, more than 264,000 people moved to New York in the past year. And of this group, 35 percent came from abroad, while the other 65 percent, moved from another place in the United States.

Their analysis concludes that New York and cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco and Miami essentially just swap residents. New Yorkers tend to transplant themselves to equally expensive cities and vice versa.


So young Manhattanites, where are you actually from?

Featured image: dezeen.com

Top News