In case you missed it, pastry chef and Milk Bar owner Christina Tosi is doing oh-so-sweet baking lessons on Instagram every day.
And we were especially pumped to see her tackle the dessertery’s famous salty-and-sweet Compost Cookies recently.
She called these ones her “DIY” Compost Cookies, because you can fill them with whatever ingredients you have on hand. For the version in the video, she added: milk chocolate and white chocolate chips, Ruffles potato chips, marshmallow bits, broken up Snickers bars, chocolate krispies cereal, and rice chex cereal.
Christina Tosi’s DIY Compost Cookies
As shared on Instagram
2 sticks room temperature butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp glucose syrup (possible to sub for corn syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 mini butterscotch chips
1/2 graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
2 1/2 tsp ground coffee
2 cup potato chips
1 cup mini pretzels
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Combine the butter, sugars, and glucose in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream together on high for 2-3 mins.
- Scrape down the sides and add the egg and vanilla, and beat for 3 more minutes until fluffy and pale in color.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix just until the dough comes together, no longer than 1 minute.
- Still on low speed, add your mix-ins and mix until just incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Scoop the dough onto a lined baking tray about 3-inches apart and bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
featured image source: Instagram / @milkbarstore