Did you know there’s another Little Italy in New York City, one that’s way further uptown?
Okay, technically it’s in another borough completely! It’s Arthur Avenue (or the area of Belmont) in the Bronx, also known as “Little Italy in the Bronx.” This area has developed a very special, under-the-radar alcove of quality Italian restaurants, markets, bakeries and shops thanks to the generations of Italian immigrants who have lived there.
Here are some of our favorite spots in the neighborhood!
- Roberto’s / 603 Crescent Ave, The Bronx: Chef Roberto will make you feel like a member of his family as he cooks for you in his restaurant, which has been in the neighborhood for over 12 years. Try his homemade fresh pasta with hand-pureed tomatoes, or something opulent like his roast rabbit with juice-soaked potatoes.
- Zero Otto Nove / 2357 Arthur Ave, The Bronx: Head to Zero Otto Nove for brick-oven pizzas and homemade pastas. They don’t take reservations so you may (very likely will) have to wait! In the warm weather, the outdoor courtyard will have you feeling like you’ve traveled to Italy midday. Fun fact: it’s named after the area code of the owner’s hometown in Salerno, Italy.
- Enzo’s /2339 Arthur Ave, The Bronx: Another hotspot for Italian classics like ravioli, gnocchi and bolognese, Enzo’s opened a little off Arthur Ave in 1998. The portions are large—so prepare to have leftovers!
- Delillo /610 E 187th St, The Bronx: Can’t leave “Little Italy” without Italian pastries! Delillo has amazing cannolis, biscotti, cakes, cookies…pretty much everything! Don’t forget to pair it with a cup of espresso.
- Mount Carmel Wine and Spirits /609 E 187th St, The Bronx: And why not pick up a bottle of imported wine before you head home as well, so you can create your own “Little Italy” in your apartment? Mount Carmel Wine and Spirits has an enormous selection.
And though exploring the neighborhood makes a great NYC activity any day, right now it’s the perfect time of year to visit because it’s also their very first restaurant week! You can get a three-course prix-fixe lunch for $20 and/or a three-course prix-fixe dinner for $30 (not including tip, tax and alcohol). It’s taking place Mondays through Thursdays from now through Thursday, February 13.
All you have to do is call the restaurant to make a reservation and mention “Little Italy in the Bronx Restaurant Week.”
Here who’s participating in Little Italy in the Bronx Restaurant Week this year:
- Ann & Tony’s, 2407 Arthur Avenue Bronx, NY 10458 / 718-933-1469
- Antonio’s Trattoria, 2370 Belmont Avenue Bronx, NY 10458 / 718-733-6630
- Arthur Ave Fiasco, 2376 Arthur Avenue Bronx, NY 10458 / 718-618-0806
- Gerbasi Ristorante, 2389 Arthur Avenue Bronx, NY 10458 / 718-220-5735
- MangiPasta, 608 East 187th Street Bronx, NY 10458 / 718-933-0100
- Mario’s Restaurant, 2342 Arthur Avenue Bronx, NY 10458 / 718-584-1188
- MichaelAngelo’s, 2477 Arthur Avenue Bronx, NY 10458 / 718-220-8355/8455
- San Gennaro Ristorante – Trattoria, 2329 Arthur Avenue Bronx, NY 10458 / 718-562-0129
featured image source: Instagram / @bronxlittleitaly