They’ve shared the kind of assembly instructions that won’t cause arguments…
A trip to IKEA is sacred in NYC, especially since their furniture is some of the only pieces that actually fit in our apartments (and is affordable with our rent prices). You plan exactly which items you want to buy, before throwing caution to the wind and going absolutely wild in the plant section when you finally get there. But the real highlight? Gorging on their iconic Swedish meatballs doused in cream sauce.
And now, the ready-to-assemble specialists have revealed their secret recipe so we can recreate the tasty little balls of joy at home. In the most IKEA way possible, the instructions come in the form of an assembly manual, alike to those you’ll find in their furniture, and not only does it feature a super simple recipe that anyone can follow, but it also includes the delicious recipe for their cream sauce to complete the meal.
Here’s everything you need for the IKEA meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of whole milk
- a generous dash of salt and pepper
And here’s the simple method:
- Combine the ground beef and pork, mixing together in a bowl using your fingers. Break up any lumps, before adding in the onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mixing together.
- Add in the milk, along with salt and pepper and mix in.
- Shape into small, round balls and place on a clean plate. When all of the mix is used up, cover the plate and store in the fridge for two hours.
- After two hours, heat some oil on medium heat in a frying pan, and once hot, chuck in the meatballs.
- Cook until browned.
- Once browned, pop the meatballs in an ovenproof dish and cook through for a further 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees
Here’s everything you need for the cream sauce:
- A dash of oil
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of plain flour
- 2/3 cup of vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup of beef stock
- 2/3 cup of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
And here’s the method:
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Once melted, whisk in the flour and stir for two minutes.
- Add in the vegetable stock, along with the beef stock.
- Continue to stir, before adding in the thick double cream, soy sauce, and Dijon mustard.
- Stir all the ingredients together, then bring to a simmer and allow it to simmer.
- Once thickened, pour over your meatballs and enjoy!
featured image source: IKEA