Previously, gatherings of up to only 10 people were allowed, but Governor Cuomo has increased that number to 25 during phase 3 of reopening.
He announced the news in a press conference today, June 15.
It comes at a time when New York has the lowest number of lives lost to COVID-19 for a three-day average since March.
“We are going to modify phase 3 given this new data, and we’re going to allow gatherings of up to 25 people, which is up from 10 people,” he said. “Again, because the numbers are good in most parts of the state.”
Five regions of the state are already in phase 3 (North Country, the Finger Lakes, Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley and Central New York), Western New York will enter it tomorrow, June 16, and the Capital Region will enter it Wednesday, June 17.
New York City is currently in phase 1 of reopening. If everything continues according to plan, and we maintain our benchmarks, we will enter phase 2 on June 22 (when outdoor dining will now reopen), and phase 3 on July 6. Of course, Mayor de Blasio recently said that phase 2 might not even start until July. “If we’re ready on June 22, that’s beautiful, but I don’t want people to have undue expectations,” he said last week.
Phase 3 also includes indoor dining (with many regulations including 50% capacity) and personal care services (like barber shops).
featured image source: Shutterstock