Parts of Coney Island Beach closed their waters to beach-goers due to reports of sharks in the area. Is it safe now? Where did the sharks come from? Don’t worry, SecretNYC is here to give you the rundown:
- The City Parks Department made this official statement yesterday morning: “Because sharks have been sighted in certain areas of Coney Island Beach today, Parks has closed specific stretches of the beach and will continue to monitor the situation.”
- The beach was closed on yesterday morning at approximately 11:30 am, but reopened by mid-afternoon.
- Waters were closed to swimmers two separate times through the day.
- Witnesses saw what six 2-foot-long sharks in the morning. They were swimming about 10 feet from the shore.
- NBC New York reported that “NYPD aviation and harbor units were scouring the area” for more sharks.
- The Parks Department is urging beach-goers to immediately get out of the water and alert beach personnel if they see anything of concern.
- Instagram user theinvisibledog caught this footage:
It appears that all is safe and beach-goers can once again enjoy the waters Coney Island Beech, but keep your eyes peeled guys! Stay safe out there!
featured image source: [pcwallart]