Hell yeah! Wait what? Oh no… Yes New Yorkers, Amazon is planning to build the mother of all stores in Hudson Yards, NYC. Even though opinions are already mixed, this is what you need to know about this new store coming to Manhattan:
- The store will be located in Hudson Yards and is slated to open in late 2018 or early 2019.
- The project is set to be the first East Coast store planned by the giant e-tailer.
- The original project was first tried in Seattle, the company’s headquarters, under the secret code-name “Project Anne.”
- The deal hasn’t been signed yet but according to NY Post, “There’s no way that deal is dying.”
- Amazon also got a $30 million contract to sell e-books to New York City schools, which also comes with a $34.5 million option to extend for two more years.
People have already reacted to the new. Indeed, this is a terrible new for indie books and small book shops who’ll have to compete with the megastore.
Reasons to not shop Amazon, particularly in NYC: 1) we have amazing indies 2) we have a million indies 3) WE HAVE A MILLION AMAZING INDIES
— Heather Job (@heather_job) July 6, 2016
Amazon has great taste in books but personally I believe that good old fashioned book stores are better. Link: https://t.co/90bRhBzEKD
— Marley Emerson Dias (@iammarleydias) July 5, 2016
Feature Image: Pinterest