The 18th annual Museum Day, an annual celebration of boundless curiosity hosted by Smithsonian magazine, is returning this weekend on Saturday, September 17, 2022. On this day, museums and other sorts of cultural destinations around the country allow visitors in for free.
Those interested in snagging a ticket can head to Smithsonian’s website and select “Get a Ticket” next to the museum you wish to attend. Tickets will be available for immediate download, and a copy will also be emailed. Each ticket provides general admission for the ticket holder plus one guest.
Please note: You may only download one ticket per email address. Once you select a museum, you will not be able to change your selection.
Though not all in NYC, the participating destinations closest to the city include:
Annual Museum Day Participating Destinations
- Poster House: 119 West 23rd Street, Manhattan
- Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum: Pier 86, West 46th Street & 12th Avenue, Manhattan
- Museum of Jewish Heritage: 36 Battery Place, Manhattan
- Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum: 895 Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park, Bronx
- Derfner Judaica Museum + The Art Collection at Hebrew Home at Riverdale: 5901 Palisade Ave, Bronx
- Hudson River Museum: 511 Warburton Avenue, Yonkers
- Hudson River Maritime Museum: 50 Rondout Landing, Kingston (about a 2 hour drive)
- Albany Institute of History & Art: 125 Washington Ave, Albany (about a 2.5 hour drive)
- National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame: 191 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs (about a 3 hour drive)
Annual Museum Day does more than just get visitors through museum doors—it also helps to empower the ambitions of the public, particularly school-aged children and those in underrepresented communities. This celebration shines a spotlight on incredible arts, culture, sciences, innovation and historical exhibits, and this year’s theme is American Experience.