As New Yorkers the subway is as unavoidable as paying taxes, and like paying taxes, we love to complain about it.
…but hidden somewhere in the long delays, endless construction, crowds, and the dread when you hear the words “it’s showtime,” there are minor subway miracles. Those little moments when you know that someone out there is looking out for you:
1. When the train pulls up full… but 90% of the people get off and there’s even a seat for you.
2. When you fall asleep then miraculously wake up at your stop.
3. When the planets align and its actually the perfect temperature on the platform or in your train car.
4. When you are running late and by chance the train is on time, is quick at the stops and gets you where you’re going bang on time.
5. The train drunk makes it off of the train and onto the platform before he pukes.
6. When there are babies on the train and they’re not crying.
7. When your surprised to have another trip on the pass you thought had expired.
8. When your card expires the day you plan on staying home anyway.
9. When a busker is playing a song from your playlist.
10. When your train is facing delays, but by chance you have a seat so you don’t have to stand the whole time!
11. When you happen upon someone you haven’t seen in ages and get to while away the trip reconnecting.
12. When A hero straphanger gives you a heads-up and about a spilled drink on a seat you’re about to sit on.
13. When the driver sees you running down the stairs and keeps the doors open so you can get in.
14. When every line is under construction or delayed… except yours.
15. When it’s just a little too hot to be comfortable on the platform and a train pulls in and you get the nice blast of air.