The first flakes of snow of the season were spotted in NYC on Monday morning. It’s time to strap ourselves in and get ready for the winter. But that doesn’t bother a real NYer, right?
The first day of winter is less than a month away, the first flakes of snow made landfall on Monday, and temperatures dropping rapidly, it’s time to mentally prepare ourselves for winter.
More than most city dwellers, New Yorkers have a set of hard and fast rules and tricks to avoid making the most of the crappy weather we’re about to experience.
ATTN out of towners: This is how to cope with winter in New York City.
1. Did you know that complaining about the weather creates a warm fuzzy glow in most NYers that lasts approximately 5 minutes, when they have to complain about it again? Well, now you do. #AlternativeFact.
2. Real NYer’s know better than to walk/stand too close to the curb. Getting drenched by cabs driving through puddles is for tourists and recent implants. Know where you’re walking/standing, spacial awareness will save you from drenched legs.
We ARE the storm
3. There is no force known to mother nature that can stop an NYer on a bodega run/dinner reservation.
Get winter clothes
4. Oh, my dear California implants… Don’t you know that to live here you need gloves, hat, and a winter coat? Yeah, that’s a thing here.
Marvel at the snow the snow from your phone, dummy.
5. We don’t stop outside to admire how things look in the snow! Are you crazy??? No, we speed through the street then admire the snow-fall and winter magic from the comfort of our Instagram accounts.
Know your platform
6. Oh yes, we are subway wizards, we know at exactly what point on every subway platform you get that satisfying blast of hot air.
7. Take more than one pair of shoes out with you, noobs! …walking around shoes (covered in dry white rock salt stains) then the shoes you actually want to be seen in, otherwise deal with the wet frost-bite feel of cold wet footwear.
8. We know which store owners will clear their snow first, and we are experts at walking quickly through snow paths in the sidewalk.
The wind hurts your face.
9. That brisk NYC wind that hurts your face, we all know it, we all hate it. Real NYers can walk for miles without lifting their heads and getting hit by windburn.
Stay Classy NYC
10. Wear what you need to survive, but real NYer will keep it classy, while keeping warm! We get that it might sound odd to you out of towners, so as a general rule, just wear black.