NYC has become something of an outdoor dining paradise this summer, and though the new program will return by next June, there is a possibility it may be extended through the entire year.
Of course, as indoor dining remains closed indefinitely as of now, it may be restaurant owners’ only chance to keep business moving.
In a press conference earlier this week when the Mayor announced that street dining would indeed return, a reporter asked why they would even wait until June 1, 2021 to restart the program. They said they knew of restaurants interested in doing it all year round, and the Mayor said the city was actually “looking at that right now.”
“We’re going to look at whether we can go farther this year,” he said. “That’s still an open question, but I think it’s really important for the restauranteurs and everyone in that industry, and everyone in communities to know it’s coming back next year so they can plan. And it’s been an extraordinary success. We’re going to see how far we can take it.”
Of course, some places do this already with heat lamps, blankets, and hot drinks in patios and rooftops, but the spaces do usually involve some kind of enclosure.
According to the Wall Street Journal, a city spokesperson said that no “yurts” or tent structures would be allowed, as that could contribute to the spread of the virus. The spokesperson did say that the decision would be made completely separately from indoor dining, which they still do not have a date for.
featured image source: Instagram / @seaportdistrict.nyc