Summer Streets is returning once again for the last weekend of July (29th) and the four Saturdays of August (5th, 12th, and 19th). For those unfamiliar with the event, Summer Streets is a pedestrian and cycling haven where miles of NYC across the five boroughs are closed off to cars. This year, the car-free road will span from Eastern Parkway to West 125 Street.
According to the DOT, nearly 300,000 people take advantage of the open streets each year! During the hours that the streets are closed (from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m.) there will be various activities taking place along the designated route which is as follows:
Summer Streets 2023 dates and streets are as follows:
Saturday, July 29:
- Queens: Vernon Boulevard between 44th Drive and 30th Drive
- Staten Island: Richmond Terrace between York Avenue and Bard Avenue
Saturday, August 5, 12, and 19:
- Lafayette Street and Park Avenue up to 109th Street
- East 109th Street between Park Avenue and 5th Avenue
- 5th Avenue between East 109th Street and Central Park North
- Central Park North between 5th Avenue and Adam Clayton Powell Jr Boulevard
- Adam Clayton Powell Jr Boulevard between Central Park North and West 125th Street
Saturday, August 26:
- Brooklyn: Eastern Parkway between Grand Army Plaza and Buffalo Avenue
- Bronx: Grand Concourse between East Tremont Avenue and Mosholu Parkway
Exciting programming and activities to look out for include dance and musical performances, fitness classes, and interactive workshops. Stay tuned for more programming information to come.
Last year, on the first day of Summer Streets, Citi Bike even be offered free day passes so let’s hope that returns!
Also published on Medium.