If you need to sing out your stress, the beloved piano bar Marie’s Crisis is back open as of 4 p.m. this evening!
The West Village piano bar Marie’s Crisis has become a New York institution, especially for Broadway lovers. And it has a rich history—according to its website, the property dates back to all the way back to the late 1800s and was also the building where writer Thomas Paine died (the writer of Common Sense in 1776). Nowadays it’s known for its fantastic piano sing-alongs where patrons crowd around the piano and sing show tunes to their heart’s content.
During quarantine they kept the energy alive by hosting livestream piano sing-alongs on their Facebook page, and now they will be back for in-person performances.
As per an announcement in their Facebook group (and updated on their website), there are many safety measures taking place. These include but are not limited to:
- Only 15 patrons will be admitted at any given time. Patrons will be seated with their parties only and will be separated by either a 6 foot distance or a physical barrier.
- MERV-13 air filters have been installed which remove airborne viruses including COVID-19, and UV-C light air filters are installed which also circulate air and kill airborne viruses including COVID-19.
- Masks will be required when you are not seated at your table, and will be encouraged if you are singing along.
- There will be no crowding by the piano, and a plastic barrier has been put up between the piano/performer and the rest of the bar.
- There will be no lines outside the building to get in; you will leave your info with the hostess and they will text you when a table becomes available.
It will be open Monday-Friday from 4 to 10 p.m. and weekends from 1 to 10 p.m.
And, if you don’t want to head there in person, you can still watch performances in their Facebook group (make sure you still tip the performers!).
Marie’s Crisis is located at 59 Grove Street New York, NY 10014.
Although Governor Cuomo just announced that indoor dining could be closing again this coming Monday (Dec. 14), we hope Marie’s gets some good songs in there!
featured image source: Instagram / @thevimac