This charming town on the East End of Long Island — about an hour away by car or hour and a half by train from NYC — hosts this literary-inspired festival every year in December, to help get into the Christmas Carol-y mood. This year it will take place Saturday, December 4 and Sunday, December 5, with a special evening for residents on Friday, Dec. 3.
The streets become filled with Dickensian characters from Father Christmas to the Dickens Mayor to chimney sweeps, to of course, Ebenezer Scrooge himself!
Besides the amazing decor and costumed visitors, there are also tons of themed activities and events all weekend long — and most are free of charge! This includes:
- Ice skating at the Village Center
- A cappella performance by choirs and harmony groups
- Nutcracker performances
- Magic shows by The Great Wizard of the North
- Musical performances by area musicians
- Theater Three’s Annual production of A Christmas Carol
- Horse & carriage rides
- Santa’s workshop