First Bryant Park’s free yoga classes were back, and now so are their summer movie nights!
Always a warm-weather staple in NYC, the free sunset movies will return after a hiatus last year due to COVID-19 — their first break in tradition in 26 years!
They will be back a little later this year, with opening date set for August 23. This year’s showing will feature 10 films over the course of the season, chosen in collaboration with NY Mag’s Vulture.
“As New York reopens from the pandemic, Bryant Park has led the way back with our public programming,” Dan Biederman, President of Bryant Park Corporation said. “We’re delighted to be able to announce that Movie Nights, a beloved New York institution and Bryant Park program, will return to the Lawn this summer.”
The screenings will take place on Monday and Tuesday evenings from August 23 through September 28, and the lineup has just been released! This year’s movie nights mark a lot of firsts: Tuesday evening screenings, and a Broadway to Film series with three movies that have productions returning to Broadway this fall (with special guest appearances).
Save the dates on your calendar here:
- Monday, August 23: Clueless (1995)
- Tuesday, August 24: Hustlers (2019)
- Monday, August 30: The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)
- Tuesday, August 31: Inside Man (2006)
- Monday, September 6: Uncut Gems (2019)
- Tuesday, September 7: Love & Basketball (2000)
- Monday, September 13: Moonstruck (1987)
- Tuesday, September 14: MOULIN ROUGE! (2001)
- Monday, September 27: The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
- Tuesday, September 28: Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
The movies begin at sunset on the Bryant Park Lawn, but it opens for seating at 5 p.m. (and since it hasn’t been around in two years, you know it’s going to fill up fast!). Wine concessions also open 5 p.m.
Picnickers are welcome to bring blankets and bites, but no chairs, tables, or plastic ground coverings (including sheets, tarps, bags, or pads) are permitted on the Lawn. Dogs are also not allowed, and all packages including bags, briefcases, and backpacks are subject to inspection.
Cheers to this much-needed return! You can find more information on their website here.