November has just begun, and if you’re anything like us, you’re counting down the days to the 8th like a doomsday clock (one way ticket to Canada please). The election is looming over us all like a storm cloud. It seems impossible to pick up a paper, or turn on your cell, without being hit by the maelstrom of negativity these presidential campaigns are generating… well, let’s make a date that doesn’t involve us waiting on line for hours to vote. Why not, huh? Here are the top 7 things-to-do in the city don’t involve voting, building walls or leaking emails. Enjoy:
Grammy-Winning Performance By Albita
- Where: Subrosa – 63 Gansevoort Street, 10014
- When: November 11 & 12 @ 8pm
- Price: $25
Called the “reincarnation of a 1930’s European chanteuse, a Berlin Cabaret singer transfused with Latin blood” by the LA Times, Albita’s 2004 album “Albita LLegó” landed her two Grammys for Best Contemporary Tropical Album, a collection which was later used in many films. Don’t miss this fiery performance from a two time Grammy-winning Cuban artist!
The MotherF#cker with the Hat
- Where: T. Schreiber Theatre – 151 W. 26th Street, 7th Floor, Manhattan, 10001
- When: November 4 & 18 from 8:00 pm until 9:30 pm
- Price: $15
The 6x Tony Award Nominated production that brought Chris Rock to Broadway is finally coming back to NYC! A tight dark comic tale about friendship, love, addiction and the difficulties of adulthood, “The Hat” is a theatrical masterpiece.
NYC Whiskey Feast
- Where: Brooklyn Expo Center – Whiskey Fried Classic
72 Noble Street, Brooklyn, 11222
- When: November 19:
- Afternoon GA Ticket from 2:00 pm until 4:30 pm
- Evening GA Ticket from 7:00 pm until 9:30 pm
- Price: $65
Come to Whiskey Feast and enjoy endless samples from over 40 bars and distilleries. A wide selection of original fall dishes–like sweet potato ramen burgers and pumpkin spice cannolis–will be available for purchase from 20 local restaurants.
Guilty Pleasures Cabaret
- Where: The Duplex – 61 Christopher Street, Manhattan, 10014
- When: November 11 @ 9:00pm
- Price: $15
Guilty Pleasures is filled with sultry charm and feminine energy that brings out the classic side of the cabaret experience, making for an extravaganza in which “Great Gatsby meets Mad Men meets Beyoncé.”
Brunch with Unlimited Mimosas @ Fatty Fish
- Where: Fatty Fish Restaurant – 406 E 64th Street, Manhattan, 10065
- When: Saturday and Sundays in November, Brunch + Unlimited Mimosas from 11:00 am until 3:00 pm
- Price: $25
Fatty Fish is a highly rated Michelin recommended Asian-Inspired American restaurant located in Manhattan’s Upper East Side known for its innovative cuisine. If you’re going to head out for only one dinner, make sure it’s here. Whether it’s the high cuisine brunch, or the unlimited mimosas, this is the perfect recipe for good-times.
Drinks & Comedy For 2 @ Stand Up NY
- Where: Stand Up NYC – 236 West 78th Street, 10024
- When: Monday to Saturday in November @ 8:00 pm
- Price: $15
There’s no better stand up than at Stand Up NY. Since 1986, this comedy club has kept New Yorkers laughing with sets from some of the brightest in the business like Amy Schumer, Artie Lange and Aziz Ansari, rightfully landing it the title of the “incubator of stand-up nobility” by New York Magazine.
- Where: Drunk Shakespeare – 300 W 43rd St, 10036
- When: Daily except Sundays and Tuesdays from 8 pm until 10 pm
- Price: $29
The premise is simple; after five shots of whiskey, each actor transforms a Shakespeare play into a raucous, revolutionary, and jaw dropping-performance full of linguistic agility and expert storytelling. Shakespeare on the rocks anyone?
Featured image source [aquaazulyacht]