The doubters are about to be shut down. Here’s why victory is imminent for New York’s new powerhouse team:
1. Daniel Murphy has been setting records like it’s going out of style. He’s hit home runs in six straight games in the playoffs and he’s single-handedly won several games for the Mets. If he keeps playing like he has been, they’re golden.
2. Most teams only have one or two ace pitchers. The Mets have four, plus an incredible closer. They don’t have to score many runs because their pitchers give up so few to their opponents.
3. Their offense, however, was elevated to a new level when they picked up Yoenis Céspedes mid-season. He’s one of the best all-around players in the MLB, and the rest of the offense improved dramatically with his arrival.
4. They have terrific leadership. Terry Collins is a solid coach, and the team captain, David Wright, has been with the Mets since 2004 and has shown his dedication.
5. They’ve proven themselves capable of overcoming any challenge. Because of injuries they once had 10 rookies and minor-league level players active at once, and they were still a competitive team. They also beat the Cubs in 4 games in the play-offs after losing all seven games to them in the regular season.
6. Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart, Chris Rock, Jimmy Kimmel, Sigourney Weaver, Sarah Jessica Parker and Sandra Bullock (among so many other awesome people in NYC) are all rooting for the Mets to win.
7. The Mets haven’t been to the World Series in 15 years, and they’ve only ever won twice. It’s time for the underdogs to come out as champions!
Cover photo credit: Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post