By now you know whether you’re a Carrie, a Miranda, a Charlotte, or a Samantha… but how much of a fan are you? Sex And The City went off of the air in 2004, but there’s no doubt that it made a deep cultural impact, especially here in our city. Here are 30 Things You Didn’t Know About the groundbreaking HBO series, Sex And The City:
1. In season two Donald Trump made a cameo appearance. He later went on to present Cynthia Nixon her Emmy win for the last season of the show.
2. Showrunner Michael Patrick King tried to surround himself with single women in the writers room.
3. Since the show’s end, several TV Channels air Sex And The City Marathons as a counter-programming to the Super Bowl.
4. Charlotte’s surname was Ross in the books.
5. In 1999 It became first cable series to win a Golden Globe for Best Comedy Television Series, it then went on to win again the following two years.
6. Samantha is the only one of the four leads never to have a family member make an appearance in the show. (Carrie’s father is shown once in a photo)
7. Through season 4 Cynthia Nixon (Miranda) was pregnant.
8. The first dog who played Pete was so scared of John Corbett (Aidan) producers had to get a new dog.
9. In the Episode ‘Escape from New York’ Matthew McConaughey’s role was originally written for Alec Baldwin who eventually declined. The producers then contacted George Clooney, he couldn’t do it. Warren Beatty who also declined. Matthew McConaughey was the last choice.
10. Charlotte’s wedding dress to Harry was a Badgley Mischka, to Trey it was a Vera Wang.
11. Both times Carrie and Aiden broke up she was wearing a white dress and Aiden a tux. It was supposed to signifying that marriage wasn’t right for Carrie.
12. All of the characters, except for Carrie, move into new apartments through the show.
13. The actress who played Miranda, Cynthia Nixon, does not have pierced ears. All of her earrings on the show were clip-ons.
14. Over fifteen years before this show started, Cynthia Nixon and Sarah Jessica Parker starred together in the TV movie My Body, My Child (1982).
15. In her columns throughout the series Carrie asks 92 questions.
16. Natasha nearly always wears white. This is to convey that her personality is “vanilla.”
17. “Mr. Big’s” first name is only revealed in the final episode. His full name is revealed in the follow-up movie, Sex and the City (2008).
18. Sex and the City was the first cable series to win an Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series.
19. Sarah Jessica Parker’s pregnancy was the reason season 5 only had 8 episodes.
20. Sarah Jessica Parker was the only one of the main cast that had a clause in her contract stipulating that she would not do full nudity.
21. Cynthia Nixon is naturally blond and dyed her hair red to play Miranda on the show.
22. From the very first season up to the 12th episode of the 4th season, Sarah Jessica Parker’s name was shown with the World Trade Center towers behind her name in the opening credits. After 9/11 her name appeared with the Empire State Building in the background. The same thing happened with the show’s main title.
23. Sarah Jessica Parker spent up to 18 hours a day in heels while playing Carrie.
24. Although Carrie says her address is 245 E. 73rd Street in Manhattan, the actual exterior of her iconic brownstone apartment is 64 Perry Street in the West Village. In 2012 it sold for $9.85 million and again in 2013 for $13.25 million.
25. The ballerina tutu that Sarah Jessica Parker wore in the opening credits cost $5 from a vintage store.
26. Showrunner Michael Patrick King admitted that the main reason for Carrie’s relationship with Aleksandr Petrovsky was because fans complained that Mr Big was too old for Carrie. He decided to pair her up with a really older guy to give the audience perspective.
27. The medicine cabinet in Carrie’s apartment was first seen by Sarah Jessica Parker at a flea market before filming began on the series. She and her husband, Matthew Broderick, almost bought it but reconsidered. When they went back, the cabinet had been sold to “some TV show”. When she showed up for filming, the medicine cabinet was there.
28. Kim Cattrall insisted on wearing heels even when she was being shot from the waist up, it made her feel more like Samantha.
29. she also originally turned down the role of Samantha Jones twice before being convinced by Darren Star’s (creator and writer of the show) boyfriend to give it a try.
30. During an interview, it was revealed that Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall hated each other as far back as the first season. Their on-screen friendship was so well performed that fans had no idea.
Featured image source [mic]