It’s easier than you might think to spot our brothers and sisters from the west coast in our city. Even after they’ve learned the way we speak and all of our customs. You may not hear it in their accents, or see it in the way they move, but there are tell tale signs:
1. They still don’t have the basics of winter-wear down, even if they’ve lived here for years… at least in comparison to their summer gear…
2. … and they have an unbelievable collection of outdoor gear (zip-off cargo pants, hiking boots…)
3. They marvel at the beautiful snow as if they’d never seen it before…
4. …or pout for four months until it warms up.
5. They’re “eco-friendly” game is on point (Eco-friendly water bottle, reusable shopping bags etc.) and you can hear them complain often how behind the NYC is with recycling.
6. They use the words “chill” and “vibe”… but not ironically.
7. They won’t surf at Rockaway… like, what is even the point?
8. They never take an umbrella unless it’s already raining outside.
9. They think that Chacos, Tevas, Keens and Birkenstocks are totally acceptable forms of everyday footwear
10. They have a green juice or smoothie radar, and know where to get one at all times.
11. Even if they’ve lived here for years, they’ll always talk about how they’ll eventually move “home”.
12. If you’re throwing a party, there’s a good chance they’ll have weed.
13. They often complain about how they can’t find a good taco or burrito anywhere.
14. They ask to add avocado to everything they order .
15. They’re still registered to vote in California so they can still have thier say on ballot propositions.
Featured image post [Tim Goodman| printmag]